Saturday, January 1, 2011

The City Has A Soul

The city has a soul. 
A sacred soul. 
A broken soul. 
A soul that is always longing for nourishment. 
Seeking healing.

We each journey through the souls of our cities differently.  Some of us choose to mostly be afraid and only be concerned about reaching destinations. 

Others move through urban neighborhoods very carefully.  They see and feel but do not know how to respond.  They keep passing through.

Still others dive into the complexity of city life head first and well-intentioned, eventually to wake up one day overwhelmed, frustrated, burnt out too soon.

I choose to simply linger. 
I choose to linger and to see what it is the city needs to say to me. 
Has to offer me. 
Requires from me. 
I choose to be fully present and to take the pulse of the city. 
I dance to its rhythms and move with its beating heart.  I claim its sorrows and its celebrations! 

I choose to honor each urban hour as blessed in its brokenness. 
Blessed in its bounty. 
Blessed in the beauty that is city life. 

Don’t let the hours of each day pass you by without acknowledging the fullness within.  The opportunity. 
The challenge. 
The calling. 
The gift.

This blog offers meditations, reflections, questions for you to ponder, based on my very real experiences of hours gone by...and hours yet to come.

You may want to claim a journal for your Urban Hours journey with me.
You may want to claim more spiritual space in your life.

Welcome!
Venice

No comments:

Post a Comment