Thursday, January 6, 2011

6:00am Candles

Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light?  ~Maurice Freehill


What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything else?  Romans 8:31-32

At the striking of the match my prayers begin.  To light a candle is to welcome hope, to illuminate possibility, to encourage the goodness in this day to come forth.  As I gaze into the tiny flame, I pray:

Asking...that my children offer their best to the world today.
Offering... praise for the beauty of the rising sun.
Seeking...healing for my marriage that is wounded.
Celebrating...that I already have all that I will need for this day.
Remembering...the labor and love of my ancestors.
Mourning.. the abrupt ending of two teenage lives.
Laughing...as I recall the joy of yesterday.
Pausing... as I listen for what God is asking of me this day.
Recognizing... that my life is like a flower that closes itself up each night but unfolds each morning to the promise of a new day.

One light, one life offers many possibilities this hour.

This Hour’s Ponderings
1.  What are your prayers for yourself?
2.  What are your prayers for others?
3.  How is your life unfolding today?
4.  How is God speaking to you this hour of this day?

1 comment:

  1. 1. My prayer for myself is to continue to open myself up to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit births us to the spiritual life.

    I want to listen to what the Holy Spirit is telling me and trust in knowing that the Lord will get me through, just turn it over and know he will never forsaken me.

    2. My prayer to others is to seek moments of grace and say thank you Lord God for the blessings.

    3. My spirit is restless

    4. I need to pray harder, lead by example, listen to what the Holy Spirit is saying, there lies the answers to my questions, I just have to surrender and accept.

    God is saying "I got you, let go", but I will make excuses, and continue to linger and ask questions that the Holy Spirit has already revealed to me.

    Today God is saying he loves me so much that he has forgave me and given me another chance to receive his grace. All I need to do is trust and know... God's got it.

    ReplyDelete